Monday, August 31, 2009

Speedos are different

While down in sunny Florida, I mentioned how the next time I come, I want to be fit enough to wear Speedos. Whether I have the nerve to wear them is a different story. However, my wife thought differently. "You can't wear Speedos!"
I prompted her to explain, since we recently had a conversation about how skimpy bikinis don't belong on the beach. She said, "well, they show your, ummm, stuff....."
I did see a couple of guys wearing Speedos at the resort's beach, and I have to admit, you need to be really comfortable with yourself to wear them - more so than at Haulover. Just like a bikini, you would have to show off your "goods", and you know that people would look. Of course, there would be a difference. Right now, people would wonder why I'd ever wear one; if I slim down, people would enjoy looking (I'm banking on the fact people would want to look).
So, are speedos the same as skimpy bikinis?

5 comments:

  1. I bought a "long-legged speedo" recently because I was doing lots of lane swimming in the winter. They are tight, and they do tend to show some "contours," but because of the way they fit, they sure are a lot more comfortable than the loose swim shorts.

    I took them when I went to a kids camp this year (good or bad idea, I did it). I definitely got comments. One co-leader went so far as to say (when we were on a river, far from a change of clothes) "You need to wear different swim shorts."

    The bold, naturist part of me thought before the camp, "Well, a lot of girls don't wear bags over their torsos to hide the fact that they have breasts. The same often goes for bums. Should I really be ashamed that my "package" makes a bit of a dent in my shorts (and in my case it really is just a bit)? I'm a man! Men have penises!

    Ugh... after camp I felt like a pervert for exposing evidence that I had man parts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes,

    The ladies enjoy seeing the package. They will say they don't yet the ladies will admit looking. Just as we men look and wonder about them.

    Skimpy suits are just legal mind games.

    Nudity removes the barrier and lust driven curiosity.

    BTW: by your own admisssion you are doing it for someone other than yourself. Are those the right motives? I choose to wear the square cut speedo by Sauvage for me. They are easier to swim in I wear board shorts from the 70's mid thigh for surfing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I wonder about that on some beaches. I would probably never wear a speedo on a textile Jersey beach. I can only imagine the thoughts and (negative) looks from others.
    In Florida, though, I imagine it would be less of a problem. Maybe not all of FL is the same, but on the textile beaches I was at, it wasn't a problem for some men.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not saying I necessarily want them to be looking at me, but if I was in better shape, when they do look, it won't be a look of disgust. I caught myself saying that last week to myself (that guy REALLY shouldn't be wearing a Speedo) before I realized that on a nude beach, I wouldn't even pay attention at all.
    If I did it, it would be to enjoy the water and dry off more quickly. However, even in the best shape, I still don't know whether I would have the nerve to wear them. I'm not one to draw attention to myself, and since it's not the standard board shorts you see on the beach, people would definitely look and have an opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You might want to do a search for the Navy UDT shorts. They are more traditional than speedos but defeinitely not loose like board shorts.

    ReplyDelete