Saturday, August 8, 2009

Clothing

One of the reasons I've labeled myself the Modest Nudist is that you would never peg me for being a nudist to begin with. If you asked any of my high school or college friends, they would tell you that I'm a very conservative person, and in public, I certainly would expect the same from my wife. Now, I've never told any of my friends about my inclinations, and may never tell most of them unless the conversation comes up and I think they may be comfortable with it as well. Part of that, especially as an educator, is because I believe I need to remain professional in the workplace.
My wife has told some of her friends that we have gone to nude beaches, many of whom can't believe it, but are certainly accepting. Few of them have offered to join us, of course, but maybe that will change with time.
While I am a nudist at heart, in my home, and at the beach, in public, I feel most comfortable dressing nicely. I also appreciate that my wife does the same. This summer, we have been both to Gunnison Beach and to one of the boardwalks on the Jersey Shore. Walking along the boards with scantily clad women, I just felt like I was in the midst of a sexually charged atmosphere. Skimpy bikinis really draw your eyes to certain places, and I'm really not comfortable with that. Mix that with stores on the boardwalk displaying shirts advertising sex, drinking, and partying, and you realize how completely different an atmosphere it is compared to Gunnison. Maybe making the Jersey Shore clothing optional would change our attitudes about our bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment