Sunday, August 16, 2009

My First Time

Someone asked the other day if I had ever been to Haulover. The answer is "YES!!" My wife and I have been looking forward to our next trip to South Florida - next week - with great anticipation, provided that the hurricanes stay away. But for now, I'll reminisce about our first trip.....

Last June, we took our first trip as a couple to Florida, courtesy of Spirit Air and their $19 flight. Being the Ultra-Low Cost Carrier that they are proud of, the whole experience was like being on a flying billboard, but I just couldn't turn down the opportunity. We managed the $19 tickets both ways, and flew to Miami, taking off from school for two much needed days of rest.

As we got on board, we looked for Row 4. I was so excited to be up front, but we couldn't find Row 4! The flight attendant told us that they took out the row to make room for their "Big Front Seats". After taking us aside for a few minutes, they told us that we could sit in two of the Big Seats, since the rest of the cabin was full.

The trip continued this way, with upgrades galore. The economy car turned out to be an SUV, the standard hotel room turned into a 2-BR suite, and even our dessert one night turned out to be the biggest pile of cotton candy you've ever seen in a margarita glass about a foot tall. Literally. People were staring at us and asking us if we were celebrating something. To top it off, the temperature was a cool 89F, and our schools up north had to close early due to the heat wave of 105F.

During the trip, I noticed in one of the guides that there was a clothing optional beach. I jokingly presented it to my wife, knowing that she'd NEVER be interested. Well, during the entire trip, the joking continued, until at some point, she mentioned that she would do it if it weren't for womanly issues. Besides, it was Florida, and far, far away from our home. We'd never run into anyone we knew.

Well, the trip was short - 3 days - and so we saved that thought for another trip. Meanwhile, we did enjoy some naked time over the summer with a couple of friends of ours (more on that later). We did, however, book a second trip to South Florida in September. While we did not get any upgrades this time around, we did discuss it. However, the discussion seemed to center on how I wanted to go, and how I keep pestering my wife (even though I fully remember her wanting to go on the last trip).

Regardless, I knew that there would be only so many opportunities to enjoy it, so I ended up bringing it up when we arrived back in Florida. Finally, she relented, after I allowed her to do a little shopping (one should not go to a nude beach unprepared, you know), and we spent our last afternoon there. There was a little nervousness as we walked under the bridge and then out to the beach, and then - WHAM! We were hit with a sea of naked people.

Once we settled, I just decided to chuck everything, to the surprise of my wife, who went topless at first. It took her a little while to remove her bottoms, though. It really was just an quiet, enjoyable day at the beach, aside from the big jellyfish we saw. One thing about skinnydipping - any thought of being stung somewhere below the belt will get you out of the water really quickly.

At the time, my wife thought it was best just to confine our newfound nudist tendencies to places like sunny Florida. What would happen if we saw someone we knew at Gunnison Beach?!?!?! That discouraged me a little, but I was glad to know that she really enjoyed Haulover.

More on Gunnison Beach in the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment