Sunday, August 23, 2009

Body Decoration

Having now spent a little time at nude beaches, I'll admit that some of the views are quite interesting. I'm not talking about hot bodies, but about body decoration. I used to have the opinion that tattoos desecrated the body:
Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body. ~ 1 Cor 6:19-20, NIV

Now, I certainly would never, EVER get a tattoo. The thought of the needles, and then the thought of living with it for the rest of my life are enough to keep me from getting them. I have noticed, though, that there were a number of people that had tattoos in places that we would never see in public, and I'll have to admit, I can't say that it's a desecration. Some of them are very beautiful.
I've also noticed people wearing body jewelry. Piercings, for one, drive me nuts (aside from the standard ear piercing, that is). To each, their own, and I don't condemn anyone for piercing themselves. I just don't understand piercing genitals, nipples, tongues, noses....
Belly bracelets were common as well. I don't know what I think about them yet. On the one hand, they certainly look nice, but I wonder if they are just meant to look nice, or to draw attention to one's body. My wife does not understand the concept at all, though. If you want to go nude, what's the point of jewelry. Maybe as my foray into nudism evolves, I'll have more mature thoughts on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment