Friday, August 21, 2009

Oh the bikinis....

Why do they draw my eyes in? I love my wife, and value her beauty more than anyone else, but as a man, we are all drawn to look. Some Christians say we should train ourselves not to look, and some people say we should enjoy the beauty of the human form. I find that by "enjoying viewing the female body", I start wanting to have other thoughts.
Funny how this does NOT happen on a nude beach (unless the woman is wearing swimsuits). It does happen when seeing gorgeous ladies in small pieces of clothing. I'm drawn to look, and must tell myself not to. And, when I am at a nude beach, and see the same woman take the bikini off and walk around naked, I have no need to take a second glance.

*** By the way, I'm not saying it's okay or not okay to look at a woman. You make the choice. However, for me, it's a struggle I must live with in a textile world, but not a nude one. Strange.

6 comments:

  1. Of course it's OK to look. We all have eyes. What's not acceptable is to stare. This is true for nude or textile situations. There is nothing wrong with admiring the human form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Admiring and lusting are two different things. It probably seems crazy to most people, but I'm perfectly fine to admire a beautiful woman at Gunnison. However, if I saw the same woman in a bikini, I don't just admire them.
    It's as if I was looking at a piece of beauty vs. a piece of meat. Maybe I'm not making sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you're making sense. The bikini draws your eyes to it and even though you know perfectly well what's underneath, your imagination kicks in. If she's nude, there's no mystery, nothing to really stimulate the imagination.

    IMO, people mistake covering themselves with modesty. Modesty is more about how you present yourself to others. In visits to nude venues, I have found that nudists tend to be more modest than people at a similar clothed venue (pool or beach). Many bikinis are erotic by design whereas full nudity tends to have just the opposite effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, Rick. My wife would never wear something so skimpy to the beach, or out in public, because we are modest people. We dress according to the occasion, and try to dress well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems that it should be exactly the opposite. However, almost every man I have talked to has the same response to women in bikinis or tight bathing suits versus full nudity.

    I would love to see a true psychological study on the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You would think it would be the opposite, Nathan. However, I was just reading an article about how American culture views the female body as a commodity now. Even the most beautiful models are airbrushed.
    Clothing is meant for two things: protection and impression. Practicality calls for protection from the elements as needed, but we also try to impress. We are always looking to make our bodies look better, even when we will not see anyone we know, because we don't want to look frumpy.
    There are times where it is certainly appropriate, especially in the workplace. However, especially at the beach, no one ever goes out without wearing something that makes themselves look better. It's part of what attracts us to other human beings.

    If I was a psychologist, I'd definitely study that.

    ReplyDelete